Monday, September 17, 2012

The Great Crabapple Harvest - Apple Butter Edition

Well that was a dangerous little adventure!

Having never made apple butter before, I had no idea that when trying to bring the apple pulp to a boil it actually turns in to a spitting, hissing pot of molten lava. I burned my hand (not serious) and almost got some in my eye (considering safety glasses in the kitchen now). Also, having never made apple butter before, I had no idea what it was supposed to look like or how it was supposed to "behave". I just followed the recipe and will hope for the best. It just looks like applesauce to me (which I suppose it is). I still have some apple pulp left... not sure if I want to brave the lava again or if I'll just sweeten it a little and freeze it for apple sauce. My Mom used to make crabapple sauce when we were kids and I like the tartness of it.


No comments:

Post a Comment